6.27.2015

Marriage Equality

I remember the election of 2000. I remember how I felt when the Supreme Court installed Bush as president, despite the fact that Al Gore won the popular vote. And in spite of the fact that it was highly disputed as to whether or not Bush had, in fact, won the popular vote in Florida. But the Supreme Court said he had won, and the fight was over. Did I like it? Hell no. Was I bitter? Hell yes. And I spent the next eight years being called a dirty libtard and told that if I didn't like Bush, or invading Afghanistan, or invading Iraq, etc., that I should leave. Because AMERICA. And how dare I question our dear leader in a time of war? I have spent the last eight years ignoring incredibly nasty posts equating our current president, whom I voted for twice, to a witch doctor and a monkey. I have watched his patriotism, his faith, and even his citizenship called into question. I have never once told those who disagree with me that if they don't like it, they should leave. This country belongs to all of us. But I am so very thrilled to watch our social conscience change. Rights for ALL of our citizens matter. And you don't get to insist that one Supreme Court ruling, like installing Bush as president, is perfectly valid, while saying that another opinion, like legalizing gay marriage, is a case of "activist judges legislating from the bench." It doesn't work that way. If you don't like this decision, you don't have to leave. It will always be your right to oppose our governance. But I hope you will at least think about it, and see if you can find it in your heart to understand that what makes one of us stronger makes all of us stronger. Your rights are not diminished when those same rights are given to others. The same goes for my fellow Christians who are having difficulties with this. Again, I say, your rights are not diminished by giving those same rights to others. Open your hearts. Listen to the true teachings of Christ. There is no mention of intolerance. Of hate. Of bigotry. Only of love. Open your hearts.

No comments: